Extension Hair Care Guide
- Apply a light oil to the mid-lengths and ends of your extensions daily. Too much product can cause unwanted build up.
- Between washes it is safe to use a dry shampoo to prolong your style and refresh your scalp. Avoid applying product directly to wefts.
- Use satin scrunchies or nylon elastics to secure hair. Loosely braiding the hair before bed will help reduce tangles and pulling. To prolong the life of your extensions, apply a lightweight serum the meds and ends before bed.
- Wash extensions and color treated hair using sulfate free cleansers recommended for your hair type. Using drugstore options will cause product build up around rows and lessen the life of the extension hair.
- After cleansing, condition mid-lengths and ends of your extensions and hair. Detangle with a wide toothed comb or vented brush before rinsing. For best results, use a hair mask specifically recommended for your hair type on towel dried hair. Rinse thoroughly with tepid water.
- Avoid washing your extensions more than 2-3 times weekly. Doing so will ensure longevity of the wefts.
- Avoid sunscreen with Avobenzone. It will cause discoloration that cannot be reversed.
- Avoid chlorinated and salt water to prevent excessive tangling and dryness. Otherwise, wash hair soon after and follow with a deep conditioning treatment. Swimming in salt or chlorinated water will lessen the lid of your extensions.
Will extensions damage my hair?
The only time extensions are damaging is if they are installed incorrectly, removed incorrectly, or not taken care of or maintained properly. You won't have to worry about that here because during your appointment, I will walk you through every step on how to ensure the best longevity out of your extensions as well as reconsult you at every follow up appointment to ensure you are experiencing maximum comfort.
How long will the hair last?
The hair itself will last anywhere from 6-12 months, depending on at home care.
Are they comfortable?
Yes! The first 24-48 hours may take some getting used to. This is due to the additional weight of the hair itself. Surely, after this timeframe you won't even notice they're there!
Can I work out and stay active with extensions?
Yes, absolutely. Secure your extensions in a high or low bun or ponytail using a damage free scrunchie or hair elastic. After your workout, allow your extensions to air dry naturally or apply your Oribe Universal Heat Defense spray and blowdry your hair.
How do I sleep with extensions in?
Sleeping with extensions is very easy! You can sleep in a loose braid, invest in satin nightcap or wear them loosely (the least recommended). Regardless of what you choose, be sure to run some oil or serum through your ends as part of your night time routine.
Can I swim with extensions in?
It is not recommended to swim with extensions in or your natural hair either. It can be very drying on the hair in general but can especially decrease the life of your extensions. If you are in the pool be sure to have your hair up and out of the water AND have our
Oribe Detangling leave-in conditioner thoroughly applied to already dampened hair. This way your hair is less likely to get tangled, experience color fading and be protected from soaking up too much chlorinated or salted water. AVOID SUNSCREEN WITH AVOBENZONE. It will cause discoloration that can NOT be reversed.